Welcome Home Charlotte
Welcome home Charlotte!
Charlotte dressed for the season!My plan today - spend a couple hours finishing laundry, horse care and dishes at Megan and TJ's. First task - check in with Mark, the farrier. Though neither horse has shoes, their hooves still grow and require trimming every 7-8 weeks. Both horses are easy and Mark was done quick. Thank you Rebecca for completing morning care and field mucking.
I moved to the house where I found the dishes done (Thank you again Rebecca!). Okay, I'll make a quick batch of pineapple salsa and toss in a quick load of laundry. That's when my day turned in to something I never would have imagined. There was no water! I ran out to the barn to check the water hadn't been running continuously and the well had gone dry. (I never turned on the water but being guilty in the past - I thought I would double check.) Nope - no sign of water anywhere. UGH!
Paul, whose plan was to work with Kevin to finish the fence, was at Home Depot picking up pieces. A change in plans for him too. Upon returning to Megan's the source of our problem - the well pump had died. UGH, UGH, UGH.
Having changed the pump before (this will be our 4th time) I knew the amount of work and the manpower required. We booked the boys for mid afternoon and Paul set out to source the parts. Back to Home Depot where and elderly female employee was super helpful, knowledgeable and had Paul returning with everything we needed.
dirt to expose the well head.
Megan, TJ and Charlotte arrived home while the five of us were struggling to pull 300 feet of pipe out of the ground and dragging it carefully while spreading it over the lawn. Surprise! No showers available at the moment for the weary parents who have not been able to properly bathe for days. Sorry!
The dead pump.
wire and pulley rope along the pipe as it is reinserted into the well.
pipe back down the 300 feet with the new wire and rope attached.
well head down as Paul lubricates the head and
Scott ensures accurate placement.
but we have water again!
While the boys put everything away and recovered the well, I fed all the creatures and Rebecca drove Kevin home (awake almost 20 hours he was unsafe to be behind a wheel).
While Rebecca cooked dinner, Grandpa Paul assembled Charlotte's swing,
The cat snuggled in the clean laundry,
TJ filled the wood ring, Megan started the fire, I held Charlotte and the dogs rotated positions trying to find some warmth in the unexpected coolness of the night.
Yes both dogs are in the picture.
And we ate and ran. A longer day than anticipated but very successful.
Good night Charlotte (oh and Megan, TJ, Scott and Rebecca - good night to you too!).
The plan - fencing tomorrow. But we know that anything can happen and be prepared to "go with the flow"!
National Hug A Kevin Day.
Megan and Kevin Word of the day - ebullience. Meaning playfulness, being cheerful and full of energy.
















Comments
Post a Comment